Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Broken Zipper Blues

Current soundtrack: Bloc Party - Blue Light, via Pandora Radio

As much as I might like to pretend that I am above trendy and faddish movements within the social world, I am quite the opposite; I eat that stuff up...well, kind of. Being that I am artistic and love self expression as much as the next Andy Warhol-tote carrying hipster (joke), I find myself getting really caught up in social networking sites. I was a huge MySpace buff back in the hay day of the early 21st century and now find myself a frequent user of the all-hailed Facebook. I do love it and I do see the fun/function in it as well. However, I must say that this new movement of Twittering-status-updating madness is simply just not my style. Should I care that you are about to change your pants, butter your toast, or sew a button back on your favorite coat? Nay. And I don't.

Please, can someone explain the Twitter phenomenon to me? I have never used it, don't understand it, and don't care to. Now, as much as I love self disclosure to a certain depth between intimate friends, this is just far too much information. TMI, people, TMI. See, I'm hip to the three letter phrases that seem to offer a truncation for EVERYTHING. LOL, OMG, NVM, LMAO (oops how did that 4th letter sneak in there?)...this is something else I just cannot get behind. We sure have become lazy.

What exactly does "Twitter" come from anyway? Is it supposed to conjure up visions of a bevy of obnoxiously loud squawking birds? I suppose that is very fitting in a way. Really...?



OMG, you have to read this article, I'm so glad someone else shares my sentiments on the matter...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104033836&ps=cprs

Ok, moving on.

This morning at work my zipper broke. Yes, the zipper on my nice Express dress slacks that I have only owned for a couple of months. Let's just say it's a good thing I sit most of the day. I called Express straight away and got verbal confirmation that I can exchange them without a receipt. The girl on the other end didn't sound the least bit surprised that the zipper busted so soon into owning a pair of pants that I take impeccable care of...they have never even seen the inside of a dryer. Since when did $75 start buying cheaply made crap? Yeah, I guess I should have just gone to Target from the start...

The word of the day (thanks to Stephanie and Dane Cook): Snarky.
Use it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure how you managed to pull off such a smooth segue from Twitter to zippers, but you've done it quite well. Down with Twitter and down with crappy zippers I say!

    ReplyDelete