Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Poli-talk

Heh, you like that little jingle for a post name, don't ya!

Let's get down to business...

to defeat the Huns.

Just kidding.

Little Disney joke, anyone? Anyone?

Ahem, well, back to the task at hand...Obama's address to Congress last night.

I didn't actually catch it on TV...I had too much to do after work. For those of you who were in the same boat or perhaps aren't up on the latest political happenings, you can read the speech transcript here. It is long but a good read and extremely telling of many of the issues our government is currently facing.

For starters, I must say that I appreciate the way in which Obama is approaching the economic crisis. Though I am far from an economic expert (shocking, I know) and don't really understand the ins and outs of the whole process, I feel that the transparency of his attitude and the openness of his style are refreshing at a time like this. After closing out the Bush era, I feel many Americans were disheartened at the amount of hush-hush back-office politics that took place. I know I was. Obama approaches the way in which he interacts with the American people much the way I feel I would if I were president. Not that I would ever make a good president...but I feel he mixes a good amount of rational decision making with emotional appeal that allows him to feel honest and real. I know some people think he comes off as rather idealistic, which he may, but I kind of find myself attracted to his get-it-done attitude...though that won't hold up long if he doesn't follow through on things--that remains to be seen.

Of particular interest to me is Obama's social consciousness. I greatly appreciate his awareness of and willingness to talk about the issues that face not only the bulk of American citizens (the middle class) but also the lower class. I am not really looking to debate whether or not certain areas of the lower class lend themselves to milking the government or the tax payers...I just mean to say I appreciate a president in office that reaches a larger spread of the masses.

I don't really consider myself an overly patriotic person and I feel I must admit that I actually have uttered disdainful words regarding America in the recent past. What was erroneous regarding my thoughts really has to do with me being ungrateful about the opportunities we have in our country. Without getting on a soapbox about certain issues, let me just say that we are very blessed as Americans...not perfect, just blessed. It feels good to have a renewed hope in our country now that we have a fresh face in our executive branch. I definitely feel very strongly about being educated in political matters, I might even go so far as to say that in order for one to have a valid and respected opinion, they must be educated on the current state of affairs. Though I myself have fallen prey to emotional bandwagon politics in the past, I have made it a personal mission to at least know why I feel the way I do. Trendy politics need to be a thing of the past. I am especially shocked when young people don't even know the basic building blocks of the government, such as the breakdown of congress, the 3 major branches of the government, or simple oft-used words like bipartisan, legislature...or even Republican and Democrat for that matter. It really irks me when Christians feel like they have to be Republicans and they don't even know why. I for one am a Democrat...ask me and I will tell you why. I will also tell you I don't agree with every front on the left, but I know in which ways I feel drawn there as opposed to the conservative right. I swear, if I ever hear "Jesus" and "Republican" in the same sentence again I might lose it. My main goal is to know where I stand and to work at being respectful of all opinions...though I tend to get very critical if opinions are based off of the aforementioned bandwagon politics. I know, right? Me, critical? Never.

Another hot button issue for me is that of education. Good lord, we are a society of under-educated people. We actually have the access to higher education and we don't utilize it. Do you know how many people around the world would be floored at the opportunity to receive higher education? I don't know either but I would guess a lot. Please, I know not everyone has a calling in life to become an intellectual, but at least be a well-adjusted, well-aware citizen of the human race.

What sucks most about the current state of affairs is that it is really driving home how much we are a credit-based society. Obama really emphasizes credit as the basis for our economy, which may be true but wow, that's a sad reality. Now let me say that I am in no way blaming those of us who utilize/abuse credit (yes, I lump myself in there too), it's a tough economy to live in without jumping into making credit mistakes, either from bad habits or bad situations in which we feel out of options. It just makes me realize how easily we all fall into our capitalistic ways without even meaning to. We basically live in a country that invents money as we go, and in reality we are only numbers on paper with little worth to back ourselves up. I had another point to make on this front but it has escaped me...

Anyway, I just wanted to put some thoughts out about what is currently taking shape in our government. I feel like I don't engage with people enough about important issues. My challenge for everyone is just to use your minds and think critically about all you come in contact with in your life.

Ok, back to work. Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment